Come in, sit down, let us tell you a tale…
Many moons ago, in a quiet room above a pub in Brighton, Writers’ HQ used to run a wee little night of fiction called Flash Face Off. It involved prompts and drinking and writing and sharing and gentle feedback, and was generally considered a Good Thing by all.
But those times are gone, and we are all stuck inside for the foreseeable, so we thought we’d take it – as the kids say – ONLINE.
Here’s how it works:
1. Every Monday we will post up two opposing sets of writing prompts on this very page (eg: hot vs cold, or growth vs decay), comprising images, quotes, or interesting story starters.
2. Pick your side. Pick a prompt (or two, or more). And write a piece of flash, or a poem, or something in between (max 500 words).
3. Post up your piece on the Flash Face Off Forum (it’s private and free!) for feedback, praise, oohs and aahs, and suggestions from your fellow flashers. You will have until midday Friday of the same week to complete your story and post it up on the forum. Our team will do our best to read all the posted stories and contact selected writers to take part in the live Friday Flash Face Off.
4. Join us at 9pm that same Friday for a free flashin’ webinar session where we will invite writers to come and read their work (or we can read stories on your behalf if you prefer), showcasing a balanced set of flashes from each prompt. There will also be time for author Q&As, general writerly chat, and a vote for the winning story/prompt…
5. Next Monday, a new prompt goes up, and we do it all again…
Sound like your kinda thing? Excellent. Here’s some summarised info for ya:
What? Flash Face Off!
Where? Crowdcast. No download needed, just log in. Links to be updated as they become available
Who? Anyone* who wants to take part in a friendly, supportive, non-competitive weekly writing challenge and share their work with the frankly DELIGHTFUL Writers’ HQ online community (*teens and up with parental consent – there will likely be swearing)
Why? Because it’s a great way to practice, get feedback, and meet some lovely writers along the way
How much? FREE! NADA! NUTHIN!