The most fist-shaking of all technical irritants. Here’s your troubleshooting guide:
- If you’re trying to log in to your ONLINE COURSES ONLY please make sure you’re logging in here: writershqacademy.com
- If you’re logging in to the Writers’ HQ Academy for the first time, you will be prompted to set a password. If you’re an old hand at accessing our courses (previously located at Interdimensional Creative Writing Wonderland) but have forgotten your password, just click the reset password link when prompted.
- If you’re trying to log in to your account on writershq.co.uk but can’t, please try resetting your password.
- If you signed up for a freebie email course from WHQ, unfortunately you aren’t automatically registered as a user on our site or forum. Our email course server and the main site don’t talk to each other as they’re separate platforms, so getting emails from us won’t automatically generate you a forum login. You need to register for a user account at writershq.co.uk and then you can join in with all the lovely discussion on the forums.
- Alternatively, if you made your account BEFORE October 2017 and haven’t logged in since, you will need to make a new account.
- If you keep getting an error message on the CAPTCHA, please clear your cache and try again.
- If it keeps kicking you out and telling you to log in again, please clear your cache and try again.
- Disaster! Still nothing is working! Email [email protected]
Oh no! My precious!
- Do check your spam folder as sometimes (frequently) they end up in there.
- Do a global inbox search or check other tabs if you use gmail as sometimes they get categorised as strange things like PROMOTION or SOCIAL.
- You may have unsubscribed to emails from us at some point, in which case our mail system won’t let us send you any emails even if you put your thing in the box for a freebie. We’re working on a solution but in the meantime send a request to [email protected] and we can resend your GDPR consent form.
- Unfortunately if you missed the signup or your signup didn’t work, we can’t add you to a free course after it’s already started. Sad times. BUT we do run freebies every month so do join us for the next one which can be found here: https://writershq.co.uk/free-writing-courses/
We would LOVE to have you on the course but unfortunately our system doesn’t let us add people once the ball is rolling. We’re trying to figure out how to change that but for now you’ll have to wait till next time. Soz McGoz! We do run a free course every month and you can find details of the next one here:
Alternatively, most of our free courses are available as part of Writers’ HQ monthly membership, so if you were really keen you could do them by becoming a member. Find out more about that here:
- Are you signed up to our one of our freebie courses? Unfortunately you aren’t automatically registered as a user on our forum. Our email course server and the main site don’t talk to each other as they’re separate platforms, so getting emails from us won’t automatically generate you a forum login. You need to register for a user account at www.writershq.co.uk and then you can join in with all the lovely writerly chat.
- Are you a member? Remember you have two sets of login details – one for the course platform and one for the main website. Your forum login is the same as the one you use on the main website.
- If you’re having trouble logging on, please try resetting your password.
- Still having issues? Clearing your cache before resetting your password usually helps.
- None of that helped? Email [email protected]
Check your spam check your spam check your spam la la la.
You need to wait about five minutes for the email to come through. WE KNOW IT’S REALLY ANNOYING AND SORRY.
When you enrol there are three computers which need to talk to each other, which they do on a rolling five minute cycle. If you happen to book at the wrong end of that cycle it’s an interminable 300 second wait. We wish we could speed it up but we can’t. Go make a cup of tea and by the time you come back it’ll be there.
If you can’t see them on the Writers’ HQ Academy but have paid your membership subscription for this month, please email [email protected] and we’ll leap into action with keenness and speed.
First, double check: are you actually a robot? If no, then please clear your cache and try again.
If yes, you are a robot then we apologise. We are an inclusive, equal opportunities writing school but sadly we cannot cater to robots just yet.
You can find all the details of our upcoming freebie courses here:
You just sign up by selecting the course you want to join, putting your email in the box, and then we’ll send you a confirmation email. Then you just wait excitedly for the course to start. Simples.
If you’re really keen to get going with things while you wait for the course to start, we have lots of free writing exercises for you to try here:
If you want to chat to other writers while you wait you can join our community forum. If you haven’t done a Writers’ HQ course before you’ll need to register for a user account at www.writershq.co.uk which you can use to login to the forums.
Yes, it’s actually free. There is no catch. We run our freebie courses once a month because we like doing it. We believe all stories deserve to be heard and that means running courses that are available to everyone. You won’t be asked to enter your bank details and we don’t harvest your data to sell on. We just need your email address so we can send you the course when it starts, and we might send you an email newsletter afterwards which you can of course immediately unsubscribe from. That’s it.
(We will attempt to upsell you to our full membership because baby needs new shoes n all that but you can ignore those bits or not if you rly rly love us)
Our courses are a mix of text, images, videos and exercises.
Once you’ve enrolled, you’ll be a sent a link to your course(s). When you click it you’ll be taken to the course player where you’ll see a menu on the left-hand side detailing the different course sections and units, and on the right you’ll see the course content.
Make sure you set aside a bit of time each day to read, watch and do. We can’t stress enough how important it is to do all the exercises set in the courses. We’d love to be able to plug a cable into your brain and – voila! – an entire novel or short story collection comes out! Buuuuut we can’t, and to get the results you have to do the work. It’s supposed to be fun though, so try to enjoy it a little bit.
String length etc etc. It depends on many factors. Each course has an expected duration which you can find on the course page, it’s typically about six weeks, but you can do it as quickly or take as long as you need. We recommend that you put aside at least an hour every day to work on your course. If you can do more, do more! We recognise that isn’t always possible and we do give advice throughout the courses on ways to carve out the time.
You don’t, but it won’t make much sense to do it piecemeal. You can dip in and out as time allows for as long as you have course access, but we do recommend you do it in the order we present the information to you.
Srsly? No one questions musicians who go to music school. No one questions photographers who go to photography school. No one questions painters who go to painting school.
We teach techniques and theories, we offer exercises to focus ideas, we talk about great writers and the way they do things. It’s really not very controversial.
If you’ve bought an individual course and you’re not happy with it for some reason we won’t be offended (well, we might be a little bit) – just let us know within 30 days of purchase and we’ll sling you a refund.
We know unforeseen things happen unforeseenly – you discover your husband has a mad woman living in the attic, you accidentally slash and burn the oil painting that was keeping you young and sexy etc and so on – so we’re as flexible as we can be when it comes to transferring and cancelling your retreat but also we can’t have you coming and going and treating this place like a hotel. There would be chaos. CHAOS I TELLS YOU.
Transferring retreat dates
Workshop dates can be transferred without charge up to 4 DAYS before the date of the workshop. So if your event is on Saturday, the preceding Monday is your last chance to transfer the date without charge. If your retreat is on Sunday, the preceding Tuesday is your last chance to transfer.
If you need to transfer your date during the 4 days leading up to the workshop, there will be a £10 surcharge.
If you book a retreat and do not attend, unfortunately there is no option for refund or date transfer.
To transfer your date, please email [email protected] with the subject TRANSFER RETREAT DATE.
Cancelling retreat dates
If you need to cancel a single retreat booking please do it 7 DAYS before the date of the retreat in order to get a full refund.
Cancellations made after this cannot be refunded. Sorry.
To cancel your retreat, please email [email protected] with the subject RETREAT CANCELLATION.
3 retreats for £99
You can cancel your entire 3 for £99 booking up to one month after purchase, as long as you haven’t attended any retreats already. There are no partial refunds available.
To cancel your 3 for £99 booking, please email [email protected] with the subject 3 FOR £99 CANCELLATION.
There is no taught element during the retreats. REPEAT: THERE IS NO TAUGHT ELEMENT DURING THE WRITING RETREATS.
Writers’ HQ writing retreats are about having the time and space to sit and write. That’s it. No distractions, no excuses, just writing.
We do run courses though so if you’re looking for teaching have a look at our online courses.
There is, of course, always plenty of writerly chat during the day and you are more than welcome to ask the retreat leader questions, which depending on their experience they may or may not be able to answer.
You could, but do you?
Besides, not everyone has the luxury of being able to write at home. People with long working hours, crazy families, or a million other distractions find that writing at home just doesn’t work for them. For many, time and space to write is hard to find. We want to make it a little bit more accessible.
A crack team of badass writers!
Nope. You can write anything you like. WHQers are novelists, short story writers, playwrights, essayists, academics, marketing bods, copywriters, bloggers, students and anyone who puts words on a page and also spends way too long looking at Twitter when they should be writing.
Writers’ HQ is peopled by a bunch of people who get a cold sweat on at the possibility of under catering. You will be fed, and then some. Pastries in the morning, sandwiches and salads and dips and crisps and many yummy things for lunch, cake and biscuits in the afternoon and all the tea and coffee you can mainline. No one leaves a WHQ retreat hungry.
When you book, you’ll be asked if you have any dietary requirements so just let us know your vegan-free gluten-full sugar-loving needs.
Most likely. It’s one of our requirements when scoping out new venues.
Check your specific retreat venue details for more.
Here’s how you book your 3 for £99 retreats:
- Add three retreats to your basket
- Go to the checkout where the discount will automagically be added (Removed? Can you add a discount? Anyway. You pay less. The end.)
- Thus ends the process
- If the magic of the internet doesn’t work to give you the discount, email [email protected] and we will endeavour to fix things tootsuite
Can I cancel my subscription?
Yes you can! Just go to My Writers’ HQ which is top right of all pages. If you can’t see it, scroll up to the top of the page and it will magically appear. Then select ‘My Membership’ > Subscription and press the big cancel button.
This will stop THE NEXT payment coming from your account. You will still have course access for the remaining duration of that 30 day cycle, so if you cancel your subscription 5 days into your 30 day subscription cycle, you will have course access for another 25 days and then nada. Blackness. Darkness. The cold abyss of the netherworld. Or at least that’s how it should work. If it doesn’t give us a yell on ye olde [email protected] email address.
A super important point: we CANNOT offer partial refunds on subscriptions. This means if you cancel part way through the month, we cannot part refund that month. Soz McGoz