AS SEEN ON:
WRITE THOUSANDS OF WORDS FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR OWN SELF-ISOLATED PJS
Sooooooo. It’s pretty sucky not being able to come to our real life writers’ retreats, right? Or go anywhere, for that matter.
And with the world being <waves arms furiously> like this, it’s sometimes really hard to focus.
That’s why we’ve developed our state-of-the-art, cutting edge, highest of all high tech online writers’ retreats, during which we give you the ultimate pep-shakedown, give you supportive accountability, and help you to get on and do the work.
Because the only way to get your project written is to sit down and write it.
WHAT HAPPENS AT AN ONLINE WRITERS' RETREAT?
Writing, and lots of it.
The retreats run every single weekend – and new midweek dates too – they’re free to join, and you can attend from the comfort of your own lockdown-sofa.
Simply join us for a brief morning webinar where we’ll outline the plan for the day and get you to set your writing targets.
Then at the end of the day check in for a debrief, gold stars, and rounds of applause for all your hard work.
WHO ARE WRITERS' HQ RETREATS FOR?
- New writers or experienced writers with a project in progress that has stalled or been put aside while life takes over.
- New or experienced writers who want to tinker with an idea, or with an idea they want to make a big start on.
- People who want to drink tea and eat biscuits and write some words in a fun, supportive environment.
- People writing fiction, non-fiction, academic texts, copy, journalism, poetry, creative non-fiction, genre, high brow, low brow, and anything else that needs an alphabet shuffle.
- Tuesday mini retreats are dedicated to all things mini fiction, but you can still join in if you’re working on something else, cos we know how important writing time is.
THE SCHEDULE OF YOUR WRITING DREAMS
During lockdown retreats we write in manageable, productive little chunks or ‘sprints’ – 20-30 mins of work, then a 5-10 min break, rinse, repeat, get the job done.
We kick off the day with an intro webinar which will get you prepped and pepped for the day, then check-in every few hours to see how everyone’s doing, finishing with a webinar debrief at 4pm. Of course, we realise everyone’s situation/availability is different, so you’re absolutely free to make your own schedule and just check in now and then to let us know how you’re getting on. You do you. No pressure, no stress!
Here’s what a standard retreat day looks like:
- 10am: intro webinar and goal setting with Sarah, Jo or one of our excellent and very lovely retreat reps (approx 30 – 40 mins)
- 12 noon: First check in on Twitter or our community forum
- 2pm: Second check in on Twitter or our community forum
- 4pm: debrief webinar, final check and gold stars (approx 30 – 40 mins)
“Writers’ HQ gave me the confidence to write. I’ve had short stories, poems, and a children’s book published. Through hundreds of tiny steps and stumbles, each one supported by the Writers HQ community, I am finally happy to call myself a writer. It has become my job.”
“The endless enthusiasm and encouragement of Sarah and Jo has worked magic. My novella-in-flash was published by Ellipsis and won Best Novella in the Saboteur Awards 2019 and I’m now represented by super-agent Sheila Crowley at Curtis Brown.”
author, Three Sisters of Stone
“With Jo and Sarah’s help I put together a query letter that got me four full requests from the slush-pile, three offers of representation and ultimately, an agent. There’s a reason I mention WHQ in the acknowledgements of my debut novel – they are awesome.”
author, Milton the Mighty